Friday, January 24, 2014

WARNING: NOT AWKWARD

There's something extra naked sounding about someone professing the need to "recharge my batteries." I know everyone needs to do it, some people (seemingly) more than others, and all of us in different ways that manifest themselves quite distinctly in social situations that sometimes make you wonder how come God made us so different, like incompatible-different (like men vs. women, too, sigh) when sometimes all we want to do is love each other, but we just can't figure out the best way to do this, for me, and for you, cause those two directions might be working very differently -- all of which could also be said about the state of being naked. Different preferences, you know?

This might sound silly; maybe it makes you chuckle uncomfortably and shift in your seat a little bit but that might be less because of an inherent silliness of the idea than the fact that as a mostly-clothed society, the very concept of nakedness just makes us chuckle, uncomfortably, and shift a little in our seats at the mere image of (presumably) our naked buttcheeks shifting a little in those very seats. But there's definitely something to this nakedbatteries instinct.

Because when you're drowning in a social situation where everyone else seems to be buzzing about at an extra-high pace and need to be back in the cozy folds of your room; when you're drowning in the solitude of your room and need to be in the company of those who make you feel shiny and bright and full (and all those unfortunate moments when two people of each of these different states collide in the same space and time), you're admitting an incompleteness of the moment. That you're not fully there yet. Your batteries aren't at 100%. As if you have walked out of your house, Hello, world!, with only a sweater and shoes on. Or just pants and a headband. And you don't want to show anyone that -- you're just not ready to face life that day yet.

Apparently I'm the Most Likely to End Up a Nudist friend, according to a trusted source. Not sure how I feel about this, except that I sort of agree -- for some reason, nakedness just doesn't make me squirm as much. I think I have a high tolerance for bareness, and simultaneously, a very low one for leggings-as-pants-in-public, which is ranty enough for a post of its own. But nakedness, yeah, I talk about it all the time, usually as the target end to my vague metaphors about life, and always have dreams about accidentally going to school in pajamas (which is another sort of being naked) in which I don't ever question the premises of WHY DID THIS HAPPEN but am always solely preoccupied with HOW DO I PASS OFF AS NORMAL.

Maybe it just means I'm tolerant to the idea of being naked, as long as context is appropriate, or maybe I'm secretly really vain about my unadorned physical appearance (dubious).

Or maybe it's just refreshing and energizing and appealing to me; this idea of being totally, unabashedly honest with others. And with myself -- hello, clothed self, meet naked self! be accustomed to and in tune with one another! Not to de-emphasize the importance/usefulness/goodness of self-improvement, but just wanting to find a good balance between that striving-towards-a-future-you and a true appreciation of the present you, fearfully and wonderfully made -- to be the You of Now right now, and to be the You of Later, later. Or me. Cause it might be totes awk for you right now, for Me to be talking about naked You. Or maybe not. nakedbuttcheeks!hah


No comments:

Post a Comment