Friday, February 14, 2014

how to be a straight-edge philanthrope:

Studies show that when encountering other women, women are most likely to fix their attention on the parts of the others' bodies that they're least happy with, on their own bodies. For example, if I am really unhappy with my upper arms, think they're really flabby and hateful, I'm most likely to focus my gaze on upper arms of other women I meet - immediately sizing myselfupper arms to her(s), and either 1. feel relieved because hers are flabbier than mine, or 2. dislike my arms even more than I did a minute ago, because gosh she has such great arms. She must also have a great life and no problems.

This could apply to any little thing - arms, legs, teeth, ankles, eyebrows... And while we focus our mind's eye on the hateful, flabby arms, we have less and less energy and time left to focus on what great toes we have. Or hair. Or tiny waist. Whatever-not-the-worst-thing.

I think this happens with character, too.

achhhhhhhhhh we are bad bad bad
She thinks she's "evil, too" because she is prone to "disposing of people, friends," while I point out that she's really good to the people in her present, she's good now, it's just harder for her to keep up with those things after people have moved on and away and apart.

But me, I'm terrible now, if I'm angry or stressed out or on some edge of insanity I'll take it out on you, no excuses or control or sparing of feelings, because I'm  feeling terrible and I'm just gonna act it out. Sure I empathize with people, and want them to be happy, but only when I am capable of these feelings for myself first. So self-centered.

Hey, what if we walk through life always focusing on our individual "evils," so mired in them that we can't look up and out to see the good things we have, or do? What if we miss out on showing off what great ankles (hah!) we have because all we see in the mirror is the evil of that bump on the nose? And what if everyone, even those Good People you think you know, are all stuck in the evilness of their evilnesses?

If everyone saw everyone else the way I see myself sometimes, there would be no worthy good in the world. Sure, fleeting, small bits of goodness, genuineness, adventure-spirit and happiness, but nothing beats that HUGE EVIL you know, ugh DESPAIR. We would never get anywhere. Or see anything, or get anything done at all. And besides, constantly seeing the negative about yourself is just another way of being mired in yourself, isn't it? Ultimately egocentric ;)

So choose one from below. And put it in your pocket like a little special gift and take it out when other people seem to be lacking it - they might be in need of just that, because they think it's great and sparkly even if you don't, cause they have that other great and sparkly thing they just can't see because all they're focused on is the badness of their small bad. Oh.

youse ur powersss for gooooooood!
make up your own square if it's not included in this very limited list. obvi.
(wait, ravenous? hm)

 Love and peace! in the Middle East! And in my heartYar!

No comments:

Post a Comment