Tuesday, December 17, 2013

familiarity engineerity

There are things that make me drool in awe in familiar ways, such as this:

unfortunate frame, but this is Sarah Kay on TED!

By familiar, I mean reaching into well-worn corners of my heart down oft-trodden roads. Feelings I'm used to feeling, inspired by thing I'm used to being inspired by. Things in this category include: KMaus's Shakespeare lectures, learning human lessons through unexpected/old literature, my mom's compassion for the randomest (sometimes, in my selfish opinion, undeserving) things, Binky staring lovingly and meaningfully at the twinkling lights on our Christmas tree, and spoken poetry. See above. These are things that often and expectedly and familiarly tug at my heartstrings, by virtue of the fact that I am emotionally-inclined (rather than logical), that I am a big-picture person (rather than details), that I am an English major, etc. etc.

But then there are times when the odd engineer will truly, seriously inspire me. Not just through vicarious excitement through their excitement for a science-y, tech-y project of theirs, but through genuine (if shallow) sharing. Really taking the time to explain to me what, when, how, and why they do the work they do, what they are learning in which obscure- and scary-sounding course this semester, and how these things will change the world.

Then I realize (again and again and again) why we are meant to live in society; how we are such inevitably social creatures. Because one person can't handle all these fantastic and confusing things alone; one isn't enough to figure out the mysteries of the planets and intricacies of the human psyche and be a mad poet (usually) - we need each other, to access these unfamiliar corners of the wonder that is This World, given to us wrapped in a great big red bow of Christmasesque cheer, not corny, just true. 

cause sometimes, engineers will surprise you with the kind of poetry they Favorite on youtube.

No comments:

Post a Comment