Wednesday, December 18, 2013

10000miles to california

Give people a chance before you decide in your head what you think they're gonna say - they just might surprise you.

I wonder how many people I have left to meet in my lifetime - surely hundreds, maybe tens of hundreds, although these are just words I'm throwing out there because I am really bad with conceptualizing big numbers. 10,000 miles? That's...like...to California, right? But yeah, I wonder how the spread of your meet-people statistics works out, over the course of a lifetime.

There must be a big crunch, an especially thick period of people connections and friendships and acquaintances, at the beginning of your life - starting with toddler/childhood when relationships are as easy as sharing a sandbox and a lollipop, and then through college, during which you're brought together by the forces of late night swirly-eyed library dates and other mysterious forces like music or course registration or alcohol. And then maybe it tapers off - you find your mate and you settle down into Mid-Life, and togetherly, have your Mid-Life couple friends and make relationships with kids you've made together. Oh, and then maybe you have another little peak, through all the connections through the connections of your offspring. Then, real middle age, then old age - during which you cultivate relationships that are already there. Not really looking for more, and other people around you around your age probably not really looking for more either, which is convenient. Except when it's not, which always seems to be the case.

So yeah. I wonder how many people I have left to meet in my lifetime. Have I already met the best friend of the next decade? Has my heart blindly friend-zoned the person I'm actually gonna marry? Has he noticed me?

I forget the train of thought that led me here.
It is 2 a.m. and I shall now start to read a book for fun, because it's winter break.

Winter break, je t'aime.

No comments:

Post a Comment