Thursday, January 13, 2011

"After you!"

There are friends who are always opening doors for you and waiting for you to step in first and then there are friends who you're always opening doors for. I don't know what makes this difference, or if it even means anything significant, but it's just something I've noticed.

Some people are infinitely patient with me, and others somehow make me uncharacteristically patient with them. I am honestly not that patient - my sister can tell you the best - and I get easily annoyed by little things if they somehow seem unjust or selfish or whatever bad trait of my own I'm seeing in other people that day, I guess. Then, once I've pin-pointed some "bad" thing about one person, it's gets progressively easier to keep finding examples of that flaw and generalizing so this person becomes "the friend who only texts me when she needs something" and that person becomes "the girl who never opens the door first when we go places so it's a little awkward for a moment at every door if I've forgotten to actively go for the handle." I guess a little resentment goes with each of these labels, right?

But I don't know - with some people, somehow these labels exist with no bad feeling. Or no bad feeling that isn't easily overcome, easily forgiven. Maybe it's because I feel a certain level of karmic powers at work - a sense of what goes around comes around kind of a thing, cause there are definitely people in my life who always open the door first...Haha, if this is really the reason for my own uncharacteristic patience for others, I hope we never run out of enthusiasm for door-opening. And also hope I'm that-girl-who-always-opens-the-door-first-inspiring-better-behavior-to-others kind of a person for YOU or somebody someday!

seemingly unrelated, but this was the fourth picture for the google images search "opening doors for others"

4 comments:

  1. hahahahaha. awesome picture

    ReplyDelete
  2. SDFL:Kdjsfljsdlf;j
    This makes me feel awkward, because I don't know how you feel about me now....

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOL don't feel awkward because i wasn't thinking about you while writing this post. for real.

    ReplyDelete