Monday, December 20, 2010

privateface

I've only been home for like...not very many hours but I've already spent so many of those hours on the computer. Staring at the screen. With my face. Looking at facebook stuff or blog stuff or email stuff, instead of my fambly or my Binky or all the books I want to read this winter break.

And this made me think of privateface:
http://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=1278174725798&id=1414260910
especially the second half of the video, from like 0:21 onward,
where syang is typing furiously the videocaption of this
"pointless video of you watching pointless video and then writing on my wall and then writing on my wall
again"
It's such a private part of someone's facial expression repertoire. Everyone has their different-occasions-faces, mostly for the outside world - smiling for pictures, smiling f'real, being outwardly sad, cute little asian face (cause asians are so prevalent in my life), blahblah blah. Even staring off into space thinking nothing  (or maybe something, but you're not gonna tell anyone about it) isn't necessarily a private activity, because it's most often noticed and noted by other people.
-"whatcha thinking about?"
-(waves hands in front of face) "HELLOOOOOOO"
-"ahahaha you're staring off into space."
I mean when you're staring off into space in private, no one is there to point it out so you don't ever notice your own silly looking face.

But this staring-at-computer-screen face that everyone has is so private. Well unless you're skyping or making videos or...I guess even watching videos or something, when you're laughing or crying. I don't know. Haha but otherwise, when you're just doing normal, not-immediately interactive computer activities like typing out an email or googling something, online shopping, learning to play the ukulele, whatever, that expression you're making during those activities, probably very few people have seen. Or okay, with that face, you have probably not given active attention to anyone, because no one is there to ...appreciate it, react to it. And you're not expected to give the computer non-verbal cues with your eyebrows or mouth corners, because its feelings will not be hurt by your stoicness. You know?

Did you just get really self-conscious about your expression at this moment? Hahaha cause I did, and now I'm smiling at nothing. Oopth.

No comments:

Post a Comment